Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Results

Today really is a historic day for the United States so I felt the need to make a few comments. I was slightly undecided about the candidates, as I liked and disliked things about both, but was leaning towards McCain. But I find myself pleased with the outcome. People keep talking about what this means for African Americans, but I would also add that having a black president is something special for us "white folks" as well. Being a history teacher, I have a great love and respect for those who have come before, have worked so hard, and given so much to bring change to America, both black and white. The civil rights era has a special place in my heart (as was evident as I sobbed in Rosa Park' bus seat), and I feel that Obama's win is a culmination of what has been worked for for generations. In 1963, Martin Luther King said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" and even though I don't agree with everything Obama plans and stands for, I believe his election has the power to unify a nation and bridge gaps that have long been present. I hope that we will judge him by his character, not by the color of his skin. I find myself excited and hopeful for the future of our Nation. I hope it stays that way.





Just for fun, this was emailed to me, and I thought it was funny. It is titled "The next season of Dancing with the Stars."


1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is a silly picture... me and derek got registered and voted at the last second. I hadn't ever voted before and it was fun for us to be able to do it together. We sat in those little booths and i filled in the first bubble, then i didn't know the rest of the answers so i had to copy derek's. we both are excited to see the changes that will happen!